Saturday, June 22, 2013

Gardening updates

The garden is going pretty well. Things seem to either be going super well or meh. Josh is worried that the biggest tomatoes are doing "well" as the standard, and everything else is subpar. He probably doesn't remember that last year, we had less than we even have now.

A couple of tomatoes on the big plant have blossom end rot. That's weird since I used a tomato fertilizer with calcium. Curious.


This is the first cucumber off the plant. Huge. Lest it keep the entire plant from not growing, I planned to pick it this weekend.


Here are some little cucumbers. This little guy is like three times the size now, which is pretty awesome in just a week. Josh has been watering every other day, and the big plants are really doing well.


Jalapenos are starting to fruit and grow.


Josh harvested the first of the reddish tomatoes. He didn't know they are supposed to turn dark. They weren't bad tasting though.


Ripening cherry tomatoes! They look great!


And more! Josh said he preferred big tomatoes. :( But seeing so many cherries looks promising to me.


I harvested the big cucumber. Look at that! About seven inches long. Hope it looks good inside.


The San Marzanos look pretty good. I hope they turn out well.


This is the biggest of the habanero peppers. Shiny!


Lots of little habaneros have set and are ready to grow. Joy!

The raspberries look about the same and so do the muscadines. The eggplant plant is growing well, but seems a long distance from growing flowers or setting any fruit. The patty pan squash plants are growing and I think I can see the forming of the flowers. I even saw a few small lettuce leaves in the long planter. So I think perhaps those will grow too!

The basil is doing really well. The oregano, chives, and thyme are holding their own. The cilantro grew crazy and is flowering. While pretty, it's not great for eating. And for the parsley? it's not growing at all. What a bummer.

No comments: