Sunday, August 19, 2012

Saturday morning market

Max has been pretty ornery in the mornings around 6, 6.30 for a while, but normally he settles down a bit. Yesterday, his orneriness was in full force because he wanted to get into the master closet/bathroom which is locked. He can open the pocket door himself but if someone isn't in there, the door is locked so he can't open it. That means that he keeps messing with the door, making an awful racket.

So we were up early again for market. I'm sure it means better product. But damn, cat!


Markets are really the place where people who don't know where to stand (the male bag carriers especially) just kind of hover in the wrong place. I'm sure Josh goes through this too, but as the person trying to select and pay for things, it's frustrating to experience.

Our first stop is Indian Ridge where Michael had a big ole bin of chanterelles. This is where I encountered the first of my hovering roamers who pretty much just stood where I wanted to be without any idea that I was even there.

I picked a lot of the larger chanterelles which I find hold up well if they sit for a few days. We also got some green beans that I forgot to photograph and some pole beans.

Our stop at McMullan yielded some lettuce and a cucumber. Their selection doesn't seem to be as grand as it usually is. Though we already have tomatoes at home.

On our way over the Burge, we stopped at Heirloom Gardens because she had some things others didn't. From her, we got the spinach.

I am not a fan of her booth though. Paula had a girl helping her who could not multi-task. In fact, I am not quite sure she could single task. The customers in line were slow and distracted and then other customers were impatient, coming to the front and shoving money rudely at the girl. It was very frustrating. The things you do for vegetables you can't get elsewhere.

The Burge tent was pretty quiet when we got there, which was nice. I went about getting my okra and turnips. Corey always has new/different help, which I guess is fine and good for him but I like to work with the same people each week. Oh well. It's not for me.


Here's patty pan squash from Heirloom Gardens, one of the reasons I waited "patiently" in that line. The potatoes are from Burge. And the sweet potato fingerlings are from McMullan.


Like most days when Farm Burger is there, we had a burger each for breakfast at 9am. I opted to get a farm egg on mine. It was cooked over easy but I didn't know and ended up spurting egg yolk all over my hand.

I am not sure if it was just the egg that was over peppered or the peppers I overheard they put in the vegetable mixture but OH MY GOD it was so spicy. It was hard to finish. And then I had to wait a while before drinking the rest of my coffee.

To be sure, I'll stay away from the egg next time. It was okay but very messy for me.

No comments: