Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bluefin toro at Shoya Izakaya

Shoya Izakaya is really one of my favorite places. The service can be inconsistent sometimes and the serving size changes, but I really like going there. And we really don't go there often enough for my taste.

One night when we headed there, we saw that their specials list included bluefin tuna and toro -- sashimi, nigiri, negitoro don. They are starting to raise bluefin tuna in farms in Japan. It's taken them over 20 years to do it. We had it at Taka a few weeks ago and it was great. I don't know if this bluefin was farmed or not, but it's certainly hard to pass up when you see it.


I started off with this chicken skin salad, which was basically fried chicken skins on top of a salad. The chicken skins were good but the rest... well, this was kind of a weird dish. Interesting to order, but not a keeper.


Bluefin negitoro don. YUM!


And we had to get some sashimi, of course. So good.


Still the best damn shrimp heads I've had.

No comments: