The garden is getting weird. Things are green and yet there is way more yellow/brown and wilt than I would expect. The squash plants look good yet they're drooping a lot and the squashes aren't setting. They fruit and then fall off the plant. It's so weird.
Here are the san marzanos that were harvested. They clearly are paste tomatoes. No seeds whatsoever, but they were pretty tasty overall.
I made a sauce with all the cherry tomatoes. First I was going to blanch and peel them but they were a serious pain in the butt. So I ended up just cooking them down with some garlic and then running it all through the food mill.
The sauce was a little bitter, perhaps from all the seeds. I ended up adding some sugar and some Better Than Bouillon chicken base. It got better, but is not great. I think it needs something else when it gets eaten.
We've missed a lot of squash blossoms but we picked a bunch that were ready that day. I sauteed them in olive oil, a la Jacques Pepin. Not as good as last year's though. And thinner.
I'm starting to prepare for the fall garden. Originally, I planned to just buy from Seed Savers Exchange, but they didn't have all the stuff I wanted, and I started to worry about getting things that weren't really disease resistant. So now I have some more seed catalogs on their way and I'll pick from the group. Supposed to start planting around August. Damn, no rest for gardeners. Not sure I have enough patience for this hobby.



No comments:
Post a Comment