Saturday, April 24, 2010

Peachtree Rd Farmers Market

Another Saturday, another trip to the Peachtree Rd Farmers Market. It was pretty rainy today so the market was quiet. Not nearly as much dawdling about, but still a steady flow of shoppers. We didn't have breakfast before leaving the house, so we picked up a couple ham and cheese (no egg) crepes at Crepe Masters. It was good, but not really like the crepes I have enjoyed from street carts in Paris. And $7 each! Kind of crazy really...

We got there just before 10 and the line for crepes really takes forever so Josh generously stood there while I checked out the the beginning of the chef demo. It was Chef Linton Hopkins (Restaurant Eugene, Holeman & Finch). He talked a lot about freshness of ingredients and buying locally and knowing/trusting your food neighborhood. Use real butter, real cream, he said. Not the fake stuff with all the substitutes and chemicals. I agree.

He made and gave out recipes for deviled eggs and creamed spinach which, naturally sound easy, but were very tasty. We enjoyed the samples very much.

The spinach that Chef Hopkins used in his creamed spinach were fantastic looking. Huge beautiful leaves unlike any I've seen before. We bought enough for two -- a lb -- for $4. And then we also bought some spring onions. These are from TaylOrganic. I'm not sure where the spinach was from. I have to admit all the veggie stalls meld together in my head.


Starting from the left, we bought a bag of pea shoots from a vendor in the middle where we also bought some eggs. They were very nice, probably the nicest of all the veg vendors, to me. I guess that means that I didn't feel like they thought I was stupid when they were talking to me. Next to that are some radishes and then some komatsuna that we bought from Farmer Jeff. The komatsuna is very clean and sweet-tasting and has an aftertaste that reminds me of plum sauce. Very interesting. Next to that is some chocolate mint that Farmer Jeff gave us to try for free! He said to make tea with it. Well, it sure smells good.

Here are some gorgeous strawberries that we got from TaylOrganic that were left over from the chef demo. I have to admit that we haven't bought any strawberries in a couple years because they always smell good but then have no flavor at all when we buy them from the Dekalb Farmer's Market or Publix. But these smell awesome and I bet they taste awesome, too.

Lastly, Josh picked up two sweet potato pies from the Sweet Auburn Market stall (which I hadn't seen before) and I got what Lauren says is the best angel food cake on the planet for $1. Yum!

No comments: