Sunday, April 11, 2010

Peachtree Rd Farmers Market

Saturday was our first trip to the Peachtree Rd Farmers Market. Typically, Josh and I skip out on the morning farmers markets because 1) we like to sleep late and 2) we are often disappointed by the selection. However, we have been getting up earlier recently (for instance, I got up at 9.15 today) and our friend, Lauren, manages the market, so we wanted to go out in support.

And it was great! The market was very impressive in terms of size and selection. As you will see from our loot photos, we did pretty well.

We took a complete turn around the market before deciding what we wanted to buy in terms of veggies. We had already planned on having oven-roasted fish for dinner, so we were drawn to the chard from TaylOrganic. I wilted it in a hot pan with olive oil and crushed garlic. There were no peas to be found anywhere, but we found these carrots at a stall which had a ton of heirloom tomato plants and a perpetual long line. I sliced them in half lengthwise and then simmered them until soft and did a butter glaze. We also bought some green garlic, which Lauren insisted we buy because it's so awesome. I'm not quite sure what we are going to do with this yet.


We spent a good amount of time at the Fairywood Thicket Farm (fairywoodthicket.com) stall talking with the owners about jams and jellies. Ultimately, you can see in the blurry photo that we picked up a peach chipotle for Josh, a mango jam (which Kim touted as something we couldn't possibly be disappointed with but because it was an older batch, there were no samples), and the rain drop blueberry jam which I bought to put on Greek yogurt. It has a luscious depth of blueberryness. Josh also picked up some green chile salsa.

Here are our refrigerated goodies. Some plain fresh chevre from Cole's Lake. I love the clean fresh taste of this chevre. We stopped by the Riverview stall where I finally met Suzanne who manages the CSA in person. I'm probably the last person she wants to meet since I feel like a squeaky wheel, but she was gracious and nice. And she gave me the CSA discount on my hot italian sausage!

We also picked up two pounds of head-on shrimp from the Sweet Savannah Shrimp stall (sweetsavannahshrimp.com). I was really excited to see them there. I have never had Georgia shrimp before. Last night, I made them a la plancha in a cast iron skillet. They were excellent, though I thought a little salty (so brush off the salt, yeah) and impossible to peel. So I just at the shell.

We also picked up a baguette from H&F bakery which I didn't take a picture of. We are really happy with the market. I expect we will go every week!

No comments: