Saturday, April 17, 2010

More farmers market loot

Another Saturday, another trip to the Peachtree Rd Farmers Market. This time, we ran into Gena and Ryan and then Calvin and his wife, Kathleen, as soon as we arrived. It's nice to see people you know. We also hung out with Lauren briefly, and dog-watched. Josh was very excited to see three different French bulldogs.

It seemed like most of the veg at the market this week was greens and lettuces only. I have to admit that I'm not super excited about just greens and lettuces even if they are super fresh and local. After a full turn at the market, we finally bought all our veggies from TaylOrganic. That's a large bunch of brussel sprout leaves with little sprouts. We were told that the leaves don't like the heat, so it had to be harvested. We also got a beautiful bunch of spring onions and a bag of good lookin' spinach.

We bought a 4 oz bag of dried oyster mushrooms from Flat Creek Lodge. They had great looking fresh oyster mushrooms too but sometimes we aren't able to eat them soon enough so they wilt away. I have to admit that we didn't try any of their cheeses. Bad us. Josh bought some garden pilaf made with quinoa and bulgar wheat from Garlic Clove Foods. He also picked up some biscotti bites (fewer crumbs all over the place) from David Jeffries Kitchen.

We still have plenty of meat in the chest freezer plus the Georgia shrimp and some Cole Lake chevre from last week. This week, we picked up the stuff we weren't able to get last week. Atlanta Fresh 2% plain Greek yogurt and fresh mozzarella. I tried some of the smoked mozz last week and it was light and subtle, but I'm still more of a fan of the regular stuff. We also picked up two each of the Zocalo tamales -- jalapeno + cheese, chicken + verde, carnita. The sad thing is that they all look the same in the bag. Oh well.

In just a bit, I'm going to take some heirloom tomatoes, the mozz, and some basil from the Aerogarden to make a nice caprese. Oh yeah, and a good 10 yr balsamic.

Cole Lake brought four 3-day old goats to the market! They were so adorable. I enjoyed watching and petting them... when the children weren't swarming.

This little guy is a cutie!

No comments: