Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tonight

After the dinner at Momofuku Ssam, I really had a craving for french onion soup. So I made some on a Sunday (enough for four servings) and then stuck it in the fridge for later in the week. It turned out to be pretty nice on the days when we get home and are tired for either just a starter or the whole meal with a salad or something.

Last week, I made another batch on Sunday, and again, it was a boon during the week. But this weekend, I decided that we were having too much french onion soup and opted to make a nice minestrone instead. Knowing that I always make a huuuuuuge pot of minestrone, I set out to make a smaller one but apparently, I really don't know how to do it. Perhaps it's because minestrone means "big soup". Haha.

Anyway, we have eight servings of minestrone. Hey, E, you want some minestrone?

I also made a double batch of meat sausage ragu. You know, pork, beef, sausage, prosciutto, pancetta. The only change from the usual and that I used a jarred tomato "paste" from our usual san marzano tomato company. Normally I just use whole tomatoes and I've always felt that something with the sauce is just not quite right. Right now, with about three hours of simmering, the sauce is a thick deep red. Actually, it seems a bit saltier than usual. Oh, I should add in that it called for seasoning which I never normally do. This time, I used grey salt. Hm. Bad call, v.

Well, we will see what happens tomorrow. I bought some tagliatelle to go with it. A sauce that heavy needs thick noodles. We have some new parmigiano reggiano, too.

No comments: