Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sauce with meatballs and sausage

We don't have that much freezer space. I mean, it's a lot, especially for two people. But perhaps what I really want to say is that we don't have that much freezer space that is available. Yet, I really like to fill it.

We have tubs of frozen meat -- all of which are neatly inventoried on the fridge door. And still, I freeze things for "whenever we might need them".

Case in point: Labor Day weekend. We were home, and I wanted to make sauce with meatballs and sausage so that we could heat up quick, tasty dinners on days when I was too tired to cook. These days have been frequent, and I tire of just one sauce option.


Meatball mixture. I went ground chuck this time, since I was at Whole Foods and their ground sirloin is ridiculously expensive. Having the fresh herbs is super nice. I added parsley and basil and I think a bit of oregano to the mixture. I bought a loaf of bread just for this, and I wet two pieces of bread and then crumbled them. Add eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix, just until combined. Then form into small balls.


It seems that no one sells sweet Italian sausage anymore. At Whole Foods, I made someone split a package of eight sausages into four. He seemed not happy for other reasons than my being stingy. I think I caught him as he was leaving or something.

Anyhow. I sauteed all the meatballs and then the sausage. Then I added my minced mirepoix, I think, deglazing the good bits in there. Then in with my pureed tomatoes. Then I set added back in all the meat, which made a very full pot. I set it to simmer and checked on it every 20 minutes or so.


Meanwhile, I munched on this: remnants from the Spotted Trotter genoa salami which was very delicious. Goose liver pate from Whole Foods, which I ended up not really enjoying that much. I prefer the foie. And then some tasty brie. With a fresh baguette!


I froze eight bags of mixed sausage and meatballs. The sauce in each is a little skimpy but if you add pasta water in the right way as you heat it up, it makes it a bit better.

We first cracked open one of these preprepared bags on 9/4, the Monday after the holiday. How lazy are we! But very thankful.

On top, I think, are some of the Whole Foods mozzarella that I picked up that same weekend. They are pretty tasty.

No comments: