Sunday, April 08, 2012

Dinner at 246

It was a Monday night. Well, actually, I think it as Monday afternoon. I had tired of being at work so I picked up and left at 4.15. Being home early is a great reason to go out to eat. For us, anyway.

It was just around 5.30 when we arrived and it was still pretty quiet. We had our choice of seats at the bar. Drew came over to say hi and we talked to him about the chef's counter. Of course, it was full, but he offered it to us at the bar. He also talked about some awesome things that were coming in the next day -- oysters, sardines, lamb shanks.

We settled in at the bar with Aubrey taking care of us. After just one drink, I entrusted her to just make me whatever she wished.


First course: spring onion soup. This is really a great opener. It faintly reminds me of a lighter, springier french onion soup.


Next: polenta fritters stuffed with sausage and prosciutto, served on tomato sauce. I'd never had polenta fritters before and damn, they are good! When you cut into them, they are hot and crispy on the outside but luscious and delicious inside. And that sauce. I loves it.


Then we moved on to the spaghetti with shrimp. Drew came over to the table and generously grated bottarga on top. I usually think this dish is a bit too spicy, but as a testament to my spice tolerance, I thought it was just fine. And delicious. Mmmmmm.


Here we have mint ricotta-filled ravioli with ramps, spring peas, foraged shitakes, and pea shoots. I usually think the sauce is a bit too rich/salty for me, but this one was good for me. The sprouts added a really nice refreshing bite.


Cheese! I love cheese. Moses sleeper, which is a cow's milk cheese from Vermont. Deliciously brie tasting.


Strawberry sorbet with sea salt and balsamic vinegar. And some waffle cone!

Delicious. We promised to come back the next day.

No comments: