Oh my goodness, I missed posting last week's market! Well, it has been a pretty busy week, even if I don't really have that many photos to show for it.
Last week, we picked up five bunches of these gorgeous collards, some green garlic, arugula from Hennessey. The ramps are from Burge, I think, and the spring onions are from Green Ola. What I have learned is that it's easy to let arugula go bad because I don't think of it as I'm prepping vegetables and I ended up having no idea what to do with the ramps. The green garlic was stronger tasting than I expected, probably because all I did was grill it, so I wasn't too thrilled with that.
We also picked up some breakfast radishes and turnips from Sun Dogs plus asparagus and strawberries from Burge. I've mainly been grilling and roasting the asparagus. We are enjoying as much as we can because the season is short. The turnips I parboiled one night and then sauteed in duck fat when I made duck breast. I cleaned all the turnip greens and made them for Josh. He said they reminded him of his childhood. The radishes were intended for a quick pickle but I haven't actually done anything with them yet. I better get a move on.
Oh! I also made cornbread from a Frank Stitt recipe. It was delicious. I think it could use a touch of sugar though.
We also bought a whole duck from Heritage Farm. We also pre-ordered 1/4 lamb from them. I really like the meat quality from this farm!
Every year, I buy herbs and they all die and I resolve to not do it again. However, that stopped a few years ago. But this year, I saw that L+H have nicely growing herbs and all from seed. So last Sunday, we stopped by Pike Nurseries and bought some lovely pots (and I had to scrounge around to use some of our own when I ran out) and potted all afternoon.
Here the pots have (in size order from biggest to smallest) basil, parsley, mint (plant), rosemary (plant), and cilantro. The rectangular planter has dill on one side and chives on the other.
I am happy to say that there are seedlings in all the pots, though some more than others. It's rather exciting to look at them every day when I water them to see how they are growing. That is apparently what you do to keep them alive, by the way: you water them every day. No wonder my herbs always died before.
I also bought a series of succulents because they are so pretty. I really love succulents, and Josh liked this curly plant. It's pretty cool!
I also bought some flowers to cheer up the deck since we expect to be grilling more. The coleuses are growing but everything else seems to just be doing okay. I am not sure if they will all make it.






No comments:
Post a Comment