Sunday, May 01, 2011

Market day and a night on the grill

I read a lot of food blogs. Whenever I find a new food blog I like, I add it to my feed and look through all their links to see if there are others I want to subscribe to. If one of my favorite writers recommends a blog, I follow it if it looks good to me. When magazines I like do their annual blog awards, I check those out. So you can probably guess that I have an overabundance of blog reading to do. Not that it stopped me from adding more blogs this morning. That was what reminded me that I was behind in blogging.

Most food blogs talk about a specific recipe: the story, how they made it, and then the recipe itself. I suppose that is the right way to do it. Me, I just kind of talk about food. I did a couple recipes once but I felt awkward doing it. Well anyway, I don't plan to go into syndication. All I do recently is talk about my trips to the market.

So, guess where I was yesterday?

That's right: I was at Peachtree Road Farmers Market. We've been going earlier, because that is when all the good stuff is there. I still think we miss out on the earliest things -- for instance when there was only one or two bunches of asparagus to be had -- but we get there early enough to choose what we want. We are hitting Burge first, then Hennessey, and McMullan. McMullan always has so much -- you can tell we are missing out on some things -- but I am not sure that I feel tempted to move them farther up the list yet. The problem is probably that we often stop to talk to people between Burge and McMullan so we waste time that is not buying. Anyway, McMullan has all hothouses so they grow things out of season. It's both nice and weird at the same time.

Here we have asparagus, strawberries, carrots, and golden beets all from Burge. We also got some baby zucchini from McMullen. I asked the nice McMullan girl about zucchini blossoms for next week. She said she would bring them if they are able. WOOT!

We also got sugar snap peas and filet beans from McMullan. We got these last week and they are wonderful! I had sauteed both of them (but separately) in just evoo, s+p and they were all so wonderful. We also got arugula and this absolutely divine broccoli from Hennessey. Last night, I grilled the broccoli on the Egg and it was so good, but more on that later.

I also picked up the tuma cheese from Decimal Place. I think it's an unfortunate name that makes me say "the tuma!" every time I see it in an Arnold Schwarzenegger-type of voice. We picked up the feta a few weeks ago and that was very good and I tried the chevre which was very good also, but the tuma was more like a table cheese, a little salty. Anyway, it will be good for snacking and additions at dinner.

Our first stop yesterday was at Many Fold Farm so that we could get some eggs. This is the first time we have gotten eggs at the market (usually we are too late) and the colors are just gorgeous. I am looking forward to some orange yolks in my soft-boiled eggs today.

The olive oil people were there, and it was supposed to be their last presence until the fall because they have to go to Italy to work the harvest. (That must be nice. I mean, I know it's hard work, but being in Italy every year just sounds nice...) So we bought two bottles of their oil to last us til the fall. Their oil is so good. They mentioned the new harvest will be out in November. Yum!

I also bought some plants. There are three kinds of tomatoes. There is a brandywine (Josh likes) and purple cherokee (I prefer) cross which should be good. Also a meaty Italian producer called the guido (hahahaha!). And then a black zebra which turns out to be a dark red with dark green stripes.

We got three kinds of peppers: a new mexican chile that is slightly similar to a hatch. Then a purple jalapeno (the nexus, if you know it). And lastly, an Italian finger chile that is sweet.

So we went to Pike again and bought three earthboxes (self-watering pots) and I spent the afternoon potting again. Okay fine, I actually watched most of what I recorded of the Royal Wedding, and then I potted in the latter half of the afternoon. The earthboxes, I figure, will save me when the days are really hot and also for whenever we go out of town, like that ever happens.

I have enough room for a few more things in my pots so we will see what Yoder has next week or if we need more earthboxes. Oh yes, all these plants are from Yoder.

The blackberry patch in the front of the house is taking over nicely. I am actually thinking of taking out my other flowers to make sure that the blackberries can completely take over next year. I haven't decided. The bush is big enough that it is going to be hard to harvest.

Josh has apparently been diligently checking the blackberry plant every day to see when we can harvest. Here is a closeup of one of the sprouts. But I had to tell him that they will not be ready until July. That made him sad.

Last night, we defrosted a prime bone-in dry-aged ribeye from Star. Josh took over fire duties with the Egg and he was able to get it really going and hot. (We also listened to Pat who told us to fill it with more charcoal, and he was right!) So Josh got the Egg up to 700+ and we seared the steak for a lovely char. The meat thermometer didn't work at all in the Egg so next time, I will flip the steak instead of only letting one side crust up. We are now serving our steak rare. I forget every time and we have to discuss meat temperature. And we are now cooking steak to the touch.

I also "Egg'd" some spring onions, the broccoli, and a bunch of asparagus. The broccoli was based off some wood-grilled broccoli we had at Woodfire a few weeks ago and it was SO delicious. This whole meal was just so delicious... If I do say so myself. :)

Plated, here's what I ate last night. There's also some arugula dressed with evoo, s+p, lemon juice, parmigiano-reggiano up the top. And some chimmichurri that I whipped up for the steak. It cuts through the fat nicely.

A wonderful dinner. Can't wait to Egg again.

Last night, we watched a Throwdown on dumplings. I don't try to make dumplings enough. I don't make my own skins, but I probably should. So it made me want to make dumplings tonight. They are a lot of work, but enjoyable if you do it well, and not too much work if you enjoy it (and do it often). So I will give one or two a try tonight. :)

No comments: