After my not-so-successful attempt at making kalbi at home, I decided we should try to make Korean tacos with the leftovers. Josh had found a really solid kimchi at BHFM, so we bought more, plus their pickled daikon/carrots, sprouts, and seaweed. The seaweed was improved with sesame oil. I also chopped up the meat and sauteed it briefly to heat it up. It still smelled great and had a good taste. I also made up some pajori which is the spicy scallion "salad". It was pretty good, better than the weird sauce stuff we had. (Which I threw out.)
My assembled tacos were pretty huge, but tasty. I piled in the meat, pickled daikon, pajori, and kimchi, leaving the sprouts and seaweed for sides only. Pretty tasty. And filling. I think I had three or four.
Second market of the year! Yesterday, I completely cleaned out the veggie drawers in the fridge, found some mysterious and gross things, wiped them clean, and put everything back. So I knew (aside from the note on the fridge) that we still had spinach, kale, broccoli, and feta. I guess I should stop doing halves when I cook veggies, otherwise we don't eat it fast enough.
It was hard to get up this morning and harder to focus once I was actually out of bed. We arrived and practically ran to Burge, picking up two asparagus, strawberries (somehow not pictured), and arugula. We also picked up that huge butter lettuce from McMullan again and I smartly put it straight into the fridge this time. We also got those green onions from Hennessey, who was back at the market, and it was great to see and talk with William.
We also picked up a few tarts from the Queen of Tarts. They are like pop tarts, but artisanal. We are more fans of savory than sweet, so the fact that all of them are sweet was a little interesting. We picked up the prosecco fig and brie (I didn't see or taste much brie, but lots of fig!), meyer lemon curd, and port-poached pear. We will see how the others turn out.
We also got that enormous shitakes from Hennessey. They look so wonderful! I should really figure out what I should do with them. Cutting them into little pieces seems like a sin.
And it was great to go to McMullan today with less traffic at the market because we were able to see their full spread, not just the leftover lettuces. They have a heated greenhouse so they defy the seasons. We picked up French filet beans, cauliflower, carrots, and sugar snap peas.
Very exciting!
Tonight, we are going to grill on the Egg. I am not sure what we will grill, but some veggies will been involved. We went to a wine dinner at Woodfire the other day and I was surprised at how tasty the wood-grilled broccoli was. I guess there is something to cooking something first and then putting it on the grill for the smoke.
Last night, we had dinner with L+H and observed how well their container herbs from seed are growing! They have inspired me to try to grow my own herbs... again. Perhaps I will water them enough this time.




No comments:
Post a Comment