
I'm a bit behind posting the loot from last week's market trip. Riverview grits, Farmer Jeff cherry bomb peppers, Sun Dog eggplant, Indian Ridge purple okra, Green Ola muscadines, and heirloom okra from ... a farm whose name I don't know. It's sad to think that we didn't eat at home any day this week so most of this is still in the fridge today. I hope it is still good. As I type this, we are eating some Nigella-recipe lamb meatballs with tzatiki, nevermind that we already ate dinner and it's 10.30pm.

We like to take cocktails to a party. Josh is a good bartender. This time, he decided to make watermelon margaritas for a hatch chile fest, so I was the lucky one who got to puree all the watermelon so it could drain in the chinois. The juice turned out well and the margaritas were tasty.

For my part, I decided to take some hot sauces. Hot sauces are the gifts that keep giving. If you like spicy things, that is. My dad makes a Chinese pepper sauce that I've had the recipe for but have never tried to make. It's garlic, oil, sichuan peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and dark soy sauce. Well, I think I used too many red pepper flakes because the sauce is red and I didn't have enough dark soy so I used some light soy and I'm afraid the balance isn't right. I've given some out with caveats but I haven't tried it myself.

Making a double batch of hot sauce goes a long way. You only have to give out small jars. In the center and on the right are my dad's pepper sauce. On the left is the Bayless habanero sauce that I make. They didn't have any orange habaneros like the recipe recommends so I got all green instead. It turns out that the greenies are hotter because this is one fiery hot sauce! It challenges even the spiciest of spicy lovers. Also, I realized that I wasn't cooking the carrot enough until it was super tender so my previous batches have been a little chunky. But this one pureed very smoothly. Surprisingly enough, I heard that the slight texture is better! Well, we'll see how Josh likes it.
No comments:
Post a Comment