The true bounty of the farmers market is in effect. We may have overdone it a little this week, as we buy everything that interests us without regard for buying too much (except taking into account which days we will be in town). From now until September, we will eat like kings (and queens!) on everything our local farmers have to offer.
We bought a beautiful selection of red lettuces, patty pan squashes, turnips, and baby fennel from Sun Dogs. I have to admit that we rarely buy from Sun Dogs but I'm not sure why. Their stuff is always top notch. We also picked up a mixture of rosegold and yukon potatoes from McMullan. Yums.
We also picked up baby corn, cherry tomatoes, fingerlings, and cucumbers from Burge. From Hennessey, we got early tomatoes and some really gorgeous zucchini. The broccoli is from Sun Dogs. Oh, there are some French beans hiding in there too. From Burge.
William said that the tomatoes will need three days to ripen and then they will be fantastic. Corey said that the baby corn is the first harvest, but very sweet.
I'm looking forward to tonight. We still have cauliflower from last week and carrots from two weeks ago. I also unearthed some beets. No idea what I will do with those. They would be great roasted. We'll probably have some form of squash, the corn, and potatoes.
We have harvested blackberries every other day. Today, I put on some gardening gloves and held back the thorny vines while Josh picked.
Josh made me a blackberry fizz that I've been drinking as I type.
It's almost gone and I'm pretty much done posting, so it's about time to figure out lunch. We have some leftover brats but I'm not sure what else to prepare. Well, something will come together.



No comments:
Post a Comment