Saturday, November 06, 2010

San Francisco: Hog Island Oysters

In Northern California, Hog Island Oysters is like THE place for oysters. You see them all over the place, not to mention at the market, in Napa, and in San Francisco at the Ferry Building. Hog Island grows its own oysters about an hour north of San Francisco in Tomales Bay so they really are local. And delicious.

On our only afternoon in San Francisco, we headed out to the Ferry Building for some shopping and oysters. We like sitting at the bar. In this picture, you can see what I could see from my seat.

We started off with two dozen oysters. Sweetwaters on the left and Kumamotos on the right. We had some Sweetwaters at the Berkeley market and I didn't think they were that flavorful, but at the Ferry Building, they ended up being my favorite. Briny and delicious. Well, they were all delicious. :)

Then we moved on to pacific water Kusshis from British Columbia and Long Island Naked Cowboys. These were not Hog Island-grown. They were also delicious. The Naked Cowboys reminded me of Bluepoints. They were delicious just with some lemon juice, no mignonette.

To round out my lunch, I had the oyster stew. It was incredibly thick and rich, probably full of heavy cream. It was a bit heavy even for me. The Sweetwaters in this stew were perfectly cooked and tender.

Josh had the clam chowder for lunch which was definitely the soup that was ordered the most while we were there. I don't I saw any other oysters stews come out of the kitchen while we were there. The chowder came with a very generous pile of Hog Island clams. It was tasty, but like many chowders that you have out, I felt the taste of the bacon overpowered the chowder a bit. It must be me.

Josh also ordered the grilled cheese which has Mezzo Secco, cave-aged Gruyere and Fromage Blamc. I found it to be a bit too much and not that great but then again, I was very seafoody and this was a clear departure. Pickled veg came on the side. The turnips were quite tasty.

No comments: