Saturday, July 31, 2010

And we shall call that "the shrimp shelf"

It's high season at the market so it's hard to justify missing any market day that we are in town.

Housekeeping: I adjusted the layout of images of the blog because the wrapping was weird.

It's the end of the first round of tomatoes so they were a bit scarce. Yoder Farms mentioned this is the last of their heirloom crop, but Riverview said they will have more next week. Here you see some Yoder heirlooms with some green romas and other miscellany. We also have some Green Ola blueberries, Burge blueberries, and the last of the Indian Ridge chanterelles. Michael @ Indian Ridge was saying that they will be scarce for a little while, but hopefully they will be more plentiful in the fall. We got the last two containers. Woot. And then in front is a a vine peach (photo of cut vine peach. The guy at the Burge stand gave one to us to try. He said they are like a cross between a cucumber and a melon but they are really small canteloupes. They should be peeled and then the seeds scooped out. We're excited to try it. He also said they are good in preserves and pickling.

We picked up some H&F buns and some peach/blueberry pies. They moved the H&F tent to the inside part where Coles Lake Dairy use to be so they can have two tents. That helped a lot with the line situation. We actually were able to get something this time! Actually, it seemed like they had more stuff, too. Maybe that was just my impression. Josh got a pimento cheese sammich for $3. Not bad. They also offer a BLT with Pine St bacon. We will try that next time.

We also picked up some heirloom okra at Burge and an Indian Ridge squash. I can't remember what the name of it is, but there was some other squash called something like Yugoslavian finger fruit. Haha!

Last time I got the heirlroom okra, I sauteed it with shallots, Riverview Farm corn, and some Farmer Jeff roma tomatoes. It was awesome. You also see some Coles Lake Dairy Persian Feta (photo). We had this at L+H's a couple weeks ago and it is SO delicious. Actually, the description on the website says that it's not brined so it's not salty, but I did think it was a bit salty. We'll see how this batch is.

We bought three dozen Riverview Farms corn for $5 a dozen. I'll remove the silks and freeze some in their husks and then I will cut some off the cob and freeze. Suzanne says that she cuts off the kernels, blanches it, and then sticks it in the salad spinner before freezing. I will try that.

This pile of stuff represents a lot of meat. We bought two 5 lb bags of medium brown shrimp and one 2 lb bag of head-on jumbo shrimp from Sweet Savannah Shrimp ($55 total). They said that if I tell them I want shrimp heads, they'll save and freeze em for me no problem. SCORE! Anyway, I cleaned out a shelf in the freezer and now it has all the shrimp on it. (We already had some jumbo head-ons.) In fact, that's pretty much all that shelf has except for some pie shells, gyoza, and hm, a small bag of pierogies that I will never find again since they are behind all the shrimp. I should go move those. We didn't need all those veggie burgers anyway. Who bought those?!

We also headed to Pine St on the way home. They announced that they had three new sausages. We tried them, and they are delicious. We bought four of the Cuban (lime and mint), four of the Tuscan (red pepper), and six Stout (beery!) because we are going to have two Stouts for lunch. We also got some hot dogs, 2 lb of bacon ends (good sub for ham hocks) dry coppa, and Sweet Grass Dairy Asher Blue. We'll pair the coppa and blue cheese with the black mission figs.

Making space for the sausages may be a challenge but I'm planning to use the basket in the freezer. I'm trying to avoid putting more into the chest freezer. It's full anyway after I added the Riverview tomatoes. I wonder where I will all this corn...

No comments: