Sunday, March 30, 2008

Kids who eat sushi

A few of my friends have recently had children so I find myself paying more attention to baby news and babies in general.

Baby and children food articles have really crept into my blog feeds recently, talking about how picky eaters are actually genetic and such. It prompts intense conversations on how to introduce new foods to children and generally make sure that you don't end up with little Susie who only eats fries. Actually, I recall reading about a child who actually ate nothing but fries for something like her first five years. Impressive.

The other night, J and I went out to Sushi Mio after work. Typically, we don't go until close to 7, still early for dinner (for us, at least) but about typical for the rest of the world. So we decided to go at 5 since we had just gotten back from a trip and were generally tired.

After we had been there for a short time, a small girl (J estimates around 3 years old) and her daddy came in and say behind us. Her daddy searched for food for her to order (cooked fish? Ah, salmon? No, she doesn't like that) and settled on some vegetable rolls. I couldn't help but be impressed that not only did the little girl enjoy her rolls so much that she requested more, but that when their very nice waitress began serving, the little girl said, "shouldn't we be getting hand towels?" Parents were quick to correct her not to do that, the waitress was quick to apologize, and I chuckled under my breath. I guess they are regulars at Japanese restaurants. The little girl was even using training chopsticks!

So there is my short story to share to help give some hope to all you new parents out there. As for me, my kitties have been eating the same Iams oceanfish food since they were born and now they are "repackaging" it which ultimately may mean they will temporarily take it off the market and are not selling the big bags anymore. Well, they are eating the new "natural" line (salmon) downstairs and it makes them happy and bouncy all the time.

No comments: