Monday, December 24, 2007

Skillet duck and roast pork

While there is really nothing like a damn good steak sometimes, the majority of our "this is so awesome" dinners revolve around duck and pork. Perhaps this is because, for some reason, I seek out duck recipes, and pork just seems to be more versatile than other meats. Maybe I just have a love affair with these two meats. Who knows. Here are two of the dishes that I've made recently that illustrate to me that we have moved into the comforting winter dishes.

Skillet duck is one of the recipes in Jacques and Julia Cooking at Home. J loves this recipe, and it's not like I suffer when I make this! Although the recipe calls for one whole duck, it was such a horror when I tried to cut it up last time, that I took the easy (coward's) way out and just bought four duck legs instead. The recipe starts out with salting and peppering the duck and then searing it on the skin until most of the fat has rendered out. Then you turn it over and sear it (but not as much) on meat side. Strictly going from memory, you toss in whole garlic cloves, whole shallots, turnips, and parsnips. Then you roast it all until it's gloriously rich and tasty.

I like to have a bone-in pork roast about once a month. Up until now, we have been buying only Berkshire pork from Star Provisions. It's not cheap, but it's luxurious and delicious. Recently at Publix, I saw a Greenwise (organic) four bone-on roast, so we picked that up for roughly half the price of what we would pay at Star. The loss of the luxuriousness is worth the price difference, but I'm disappointed that at Public they keep on that bone at the back of the roast making it very difficult to cut neatly. If you look in the picture, the bone sticking out in a jaggedy fashion. I served this with some wine-braised mushrooms, homemade apple sauce, and a warm potato salad with a dijon vinaigrette recipe from Bobby Flay.

No comments: