Saturday night, J and I went to a black tie charity ball which, of course, included a sit-down dinner. J had told me in advance that the main course would be surf and turf, and though I must prefer the body of the lobster to just the tail, I was rather looking forward to a very nice meal.
The salad was field greens with some nut-embedded flaky pastry (pine nuts, maybe?) and a toasted breadcrumb-laden goat cheese round. The waiters came around and doused everyone's salad in a raspberry vinagrette, and then we sat there during an incredibly long minister's blessing while our pastry became a soggy mess. Sadly, this very high-maintenance salad was the highlight of the meal.
The main dish was indeed surf n turf. The poor grilled lobster was the one of the saddest things ever seen. Happily it was not overcooked and rubbery; it was just rather plain. The overcooked shallot-encrusted filet mignon was a pitiful piece of meat not worthy of a dog. I barely touched it. They even managed to screw up a pile of pureed sweet potatoes. The most bizarre item on the plate was a small cake-like shape of steamed egg with some zucchini in it. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually like steamed egg. My mother used to make it for me when I was little (Look, it's real!) and I actually keep meaning to ask for the recipe for it. But this steamed egg cake we had was overcooked and tasted like, well, overcooked eggs with its faintly metallic taste, and it was just plain weird.
Dessert is not not even worth mentioning. But the coffee was very tasty.
No comments:
Post a Comment